Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Maker's Marks from Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These plate and platter fragments were recovered during the Kansas Archeology Training Program field school in 2022 at Brown v. Board of Education National Historical Park in Topeka. All have maker's marks on their back. Top row: manufactured by Maddock & Co. of Burslem, England (between 1876-1903). Bottom row, left to right: Mortiz Zdekauer of Austria (1884-1909), Ridgways of Shelton, England (1920-1952), and Clementonson Bros of Shelton, England (1891-1916). An earlier school, Monroe School, was on the property from 1874 to 1927. The current Monroe Elementary School (built in 1926 and closed in 1975) serves as the interpretive center for the park. Both were segregated African American schools until 1954 when the Supreme Court ended legal segregation in the United States.

Date: 1876-1952

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 512124
Call Number: 14SH113-21.001-1; -100.003-1; -1052.003-1; 1157.003-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 512124

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.